Discover the SoundBlaster X-Fi models. What are the differences, what do the models have in common.
What does X-RAM really do? Read about the extra 64MB onboard RAM on the SoundBlaster X-Fi.
Thursday, September 21, 2006
New SoundBlaster X-Fi drivers are available for download at the Creative Labs site. This update should particulary be interesting for X-Fi Elite PRO users since it is the first non-beta driver for the X-Fi Elite Pro since November 15th 2005. Owners of the X-Fi XtremeMusic, Platinum and Fatal1ty cards will notice that the version number (2.09.0001) is the same as the one already released in July so no change here.
This download contains an improved version of the drivers found on the Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic, Platinum, Fatal1ty and Elite Pro installation CDs. It now provides full OpenAL support for gamers. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.
* Includes Creative Audio Console, which enables you to use the Sound Blaster X-Fi features and functions.
* Does not address all the reported general "crackling" issues, but it does resolve some specific issues with crackling. Investigations with some motherboard manufacturers are ongoing, and we hope to provide a general solution soon.
* Resolves some issues to improve your overall audio experience.
* Supports OpenAL 1.1
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding
For Quake 4™ (version 1.04)
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding when the error message "Quake 4 has encountered an error and needs to close" is displayed
* Resolves the issue of mono speaker out in surround sound environments
* Allows you to hear audio from speakers when you select the OpenAL X-Fi option as the audio driver
* Allows audio channels to stream to correct speakers
For Battlefield 2™
* Allows the Ultra-High Audio setting in a multi-player game
For Battlefield 2 (version 1.12)
* Allows you to hear audio from speakers when the X-Fi audio driver option is selected
For Doom 3™ (version 1.3)
* Allows you to hear audio from speakers when EAX 4.0 is enabled
* Resolves the "pop" issue during the Chainsaw attack sound effect sequence
* Removes "hiss" from the front left speaker
* Allows panning
* Plays the Ambient sound effects correctly
For Unreal® Tournament 2004 (version 3369)
* Allows you to hear audio from speakers when running in hardware OpenAL mode (the System Driver check-box is cleared)
For Unreal Tournament 2004 (version 3355)
* Allows reverb in native OpenAL mode
* Allows music to play correctly during gaming in Native OpenAL mode
For Dungeon Siege® (version 1.11)
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding during benchmarking
Music or Movie Playback Fixes:
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding when DTS signal is passed through Creative MediaSource™ Player/Organizer
* Removes X-Fi CMSS-3D Speakers distortion when playing DivX stereo content
For Audio Creation Mode
* Removes distortion when recording to a 44.1 kHz multi-channel wave file in Audio Creation Mode with 44.1 kHz master sampling rate
* Removes pops and crackles during record monitoring and changing sample rates
For Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
* Resolves the issue where no audio is heard from your speakers occasionally when playing 3D MIDI files
* Resolves the missing instrument issue when playing a MIDI file in all modes
* Resolves the "recording process aborted" issue during a 44 kHz multi-channel recording
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding when recording with Creative MediaSource Player/Organizer
* Resolves SoundFont® issues where notes distort and change pitch during playback and recording
* Allows your computer to quit Suspend mode when enabling "Automatically Enable Headphone Settings" even when headphones are not connected to your computer
* Resolves the issue where no audio is heard when testing the X-Fi CMSS-3D Headphone in the Game Mode console
* Resolves the noise issue when your computer quits Standby mode
Fixes for developers:
* Allows effects to be loaded in EAX4.0 mode of your test program (EAX50ShowDSound)
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding when loading a 2D Sound in your test program (DSound50_OpenAL 1.1)
* Resolves the issue where there is no upmix when switching effects
* Resolves the floating point offset issue in OpenAL
* Resolves the issue of the computer not responding while using synchronous start through native OpenAL
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows XP Service Pack 2
* Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Platinum, Fatal1ty and Elite Pro audio device
* Creative MediaSource DVD-Audio Player is unavailable for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
X-Fi Driver Feedback
Lately it has been very quiet in the X-Fi world. The X-Fi Elite PRO driver still isn't released and there haven't been any updates on the crackling and popping issues. Even thought there have been no news Creative would like you to send in your Vista feedback. If you are one of those who are using Windows Vista please fill out that form. In the end it will be us X-Fi users who are going to gain by that.